Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Easy Pound Cake



I remember clearly the day I baked my first cake. It was my Dad’s favorite kind, Pound Cake. Before I share the recipe with you I will tell you a little about the history of Pound Cake. Pound Cake was invented in the early 18th century. It was called Pound Cake because the ingredients consisted only of a pound of: sugar, flour, butter, and eggs. Later people started adding a liquid such as milk and a rising agent such as baking powder.

Easy Pound Cake

3 sticks margarine/butter
2 ¾ cups sugar
5 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups flour
½ tsp. baking powder
1 cup milk

Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and set aside. In a mixer cream butter and sugar together. When I was new at cooking, I was confused by the term "cream". It simply means to blend something together until it is a creamy or fluffy consistency. Then add eggs one at a time. Add vanilla extract. Then alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the milk. Bake at 325 degrees for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool, then enjoy!

The history of pound cake: http://www.poundcake.net/

~Grace

I am a seventeen year old homeschool graduate with a love for: God, family, writing, photography, cooking, and old movies. When I was fourteen I was sure I wanted to go to college and learn Home Economics. I wanted to learn to cook, really well. But by the time I actually applied for college last year, my career interests had changed. I want to firstly follow God, so I decided to major in Philosophy and Religion and probably minor in English. I knew that with learning about God, I would not be disappointed. And writing has always been something I enjoy. But although my career plan has changed, my love of cooking still remains. I think healthy eating is very important. On the other hand I am not a health freak, I like eating my sugary deep fried substance now and then. But I think moderation is really important, after all self-control is a fruit of the spirit.

If you have any comments or questions, you can email Grace @ girlofsoutherngrace@yahoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment