Sunday, May 29, 2011

Strawberry Milkshake to Die For

I don’t know about you, but as it gets to be summer I start searching around for anything that’s cool and refreshing - Popsicles, Ice Cream, Watermelon, and of course Milkshakes! Smile However, you can only eat SO much ice cream, especially since it’s not as healthy for ya as most of us would wish! Wink Anyways, one day on a hot summer day I was flipping through “Healthy Choices”, and I came across a recipe for a Strawberry Milkshake and thought, “Hey Why not??” And so proceeded to make it. One sip of the beautiful pink cupful, and I was totally hooked! Smile A lovely blend of strawberries, lemon, and sweetness! I love when stuff has lemon in it and yet is sweet - makes for an amazing balance of sweet and tart. I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do!!

A few notes about this recipe - the cookbook says that it will serve two, but I have found that it serves 4 comfortably - unless you want to drink a TON of it. Wink Also the shake in the picture has more milk in it because I didn’t have as many strawberries as I needed, but couldn’t tell because they were in a frozen lump! Wink Normally it turns out much pinker and thicker, which I love, but if you like things a little thinner just don’t add quite as many strawberries - it’s really good that way too!! If you like things much more tart than most people do, or are just someone who automatically just wants to cut the sugar in half (like my Mom and Grandma! Wink), experiment around with it until you get the taste you are looking for. The sweetness of the final product really depends a lot on how sweet the strawberries which you are using happen to be. Such as in the past I have made this shake and it’s been super sweet, and then today I made it and it was a bit more tart. Smile
For getting frozen strawberries, if you like to put up your own, the way we do ours is after we pick the strawberries, we wash them, chop the tops off, and then lay them out on cookie sheets in the freezer until they are frozen before bagging them, and having frozen strawberries all year round! Smile

Ok, without further ado I will give you the recipe! Smile

2 cups Milk
25 whole, large, frozen Strawberries
⅓ cup Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice

Pour milk into blender. Put in strawberries, maple syrup, and lemon juice. Blend on high until smooth. Serve in glass tumblers with straws - Yummy! Can be used to make Popsicles.
(From the “Healthy Choices” cookbook, from the kitchens of the “Keeper at Home” magazine’s readers.).

Hope you enjoy!!Smile 

~Amy Irene


Amy Irene is a homeschool graduate, currently attending community college with a major in Deaf Studies. She’s 20 but feels about 17-years-old, and is still figuring life out. She loves the Lord with everything in her, and is an expert at burning water in the kitchen so if she can make it, you can too!

No comments:

Post a Comment